Lakenheath band history
The original band of Lakenheath was called The Band of Hope and was run by the Methodist Church.
The survivors of the 1st World War took over the assets and debts of the band and renamed it Lakenheath Brass Band. Fourteen instruments were bought at this time costing £235.00.
In 1935 Silver instruments were purchased and the name was changed to The Lakenheath Silver Band. This lasted until 1960.
In the 1970’s Mr Wally Hebdon, who was Headmaster of Lakenheath Primary School reformed the band with Mr Charlie Morley as conductor.
Later in 1980 Mr George Elsegood took over as Musical Director with Mr Peter Branch as his resident conductor. After 19 years Mr George Elsegood retired from conducting the band.
Mr Mark Floyd took the helm as Musical Director for the next three years.
In 2002 Mr Nigel Sutterby took over for the next five, but later had to stand down due to work commitments.
In 2007 Mr Mark Floyd once again took the helm.
Mrs Susan White, our first Lady Musical Director took over from Mark in 2008
In 2010 Mrs Helen Driver took the helm with so many other commitments, including playing for another band and being a mum.
Mr Mark Floyd who took time out of banding for two years returned in 2011 with much enthusiasm.
Finally Mr Mark floyd decided to resign his position as Musical Director and become an active tenor horn player for the band.
In January 2015 Mr. Nigel Sutterby took over the post as Musical Director.
To date all of the people who have conducted our band are either playing members or able to help playing for us when ever they are free to do so.
We are in fact a very happy band and at this present time we have 16 members.
Printed June 2015